Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Yippie, Yea, Okay, You Got It!

Yup, this issue of The Pines Review is finished, posted and all that. I hadn't planned to spend the entire month of May getting it put to bed! Well, most of the month of May. Still, took me longer than I had anticipated but I think the results are well worth it. The link to the MagCloud site is at the end of this post in case any of my dear readers are interested in ordering a print copy. Okay, it is pretty cheap advertising on my part but can anyone blame me? I am trying to make a buck or two to help defray the costs. Actually, the print copy is worth it because of the quality of the printing (full color) and paper. If you are like me and counting pennies these days you can also enjoy it on the Issuu site, and you get to do that for free! I'm really tickled with the Issuu site and the quality of the technology. If you go to the magazine and look at the cover you'll discover the contents column on the left side of the cover is fully liked to the articles, that means if you want to read (say) the story about the Zimbabwe Borderline Walk, you can put your cursor on that story, click on the arrow and it will take you to that page.

As promised, this issue has a very long profile of Dr. Randall Eaton. I encourage everyone who has a concern about the future of wildlife, our society, and not just hunting, to give it a read. There is a whole lot more taking place in what Eaton is saying than first meets the eye. I am not saying I agree 100% with Dr. Eaton, but with what he is saying there is so much truth.

The Borderline Walk in Zimbabwe is one of the most unusal stories that I've ever worked with. African Expeditions Magazine took on a huge project when the editors decided to support David Hulme in his project to walk around the border of Zimbabwe. David is doing it to draw attention to the plight of Zim's wildlife. Read it, you will not be sorry.

Finally, there is a whole lot more in the journal: poetry, some great photos, some good fiction and even some technical stuff. I feel good about this issue. And now, it is time for me to take a break and finish my porch. Oh, and start getting Cookie into shape, she's gotten fat over the winter. Well, so have I.

Here is the Issuu site so you can read (or even download) The Pines Review online. I look forward to hearing your comments, especially your reaction to Dr. Eaton. http://issuu.com/thepinesreview/docs/v_iii_no_2_spring_summer_2010_online?viewMode=magazine
And to order a copy, here is the link.

3 comments:

Chas S. Clifton said...

Thanks, Galen. I'll link to it on my blog too in the next day or so.

Anonymous said...

I've stayed silent for too long. Randall Eaton's a nut job. there. it had to be said.

Galen Geer said...

Anonymous,
It would be great if you went to the Issuu site and read the article and then sent me a letter to the editor expressing your thoughts.
I think it is important for each person to express their opinion on subjects like this. Hmmmmm? Please?
Best,
Galen